Snort mailing list archives

MS12-063 Rule Triggering

From: "Kochen, Joe" <joe.kochen () americo com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:45:48 +0000

Let me start this off with saying I'm a relative noob when it comes to analyzing rules and exactly how they are getting
triggered. I'm not sure the best avenue on going about asking this question so bear with me. \\

With that said I have the MS12-063 rule enabled, I can successfully exploit this vulnerability on the monitored network
going through the sensors (using the standard metasploit module). However an event/alert never triggers. The sensors
appear to be catching other misc things (just in case it was an overall problem with the sensor). I've taken a packet
capture of the traffic and found all the keywords in the rule in the tcp stream, I haven't drilled down far enough to
actually be sure that all the other parameters would allow for the rule to trigger.

I imagine the issue could lie in many different places, but are there any specific global configuration settings that
might make this happen? Where would I want to start looking? Please note that I'm using the Sourcefire 3D sensors with
a defense center.

Appreciate it,

Joe

This email, including any attachments, is intended for the person(s) or company to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you
have received this message in error and that unauthorized disclosure, forwarding, printing or copying of this
information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please notify the sender immediately, either at the original
sender's email address, or by calling 1-800-231-0801. For all other questions please contact the company operator at
(816) 391-2700.