Snort mailing list archives

http_inspect: UNKNOWN METHOD

From: Greg Williams <gwillia5 () uccs edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:16:32 +0000

I updated the rules (free VRT) last Friday and didn't look at the alerts until today.  I've received 158,000 alerts for
http_inspect: UNKNOWN METHOD.  SID is 119-31. alert ( msg: "HI_CLIENT_UNKNOWN_METHOD"; sid: 31; gid: 119; rev: 1;
metadata: rule-type preproc ; classtype:unknown; )

I don't see a reason for this, and I can put a threshold on this rule, but is anyone else seeing the same kind of
alerts within the past few days?

Greg Williams
IT Security Principal
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
Phone: 719-255-3211
Website: http://www.uccs.edu/itsecure
greg.williams () uccs edu<mailto:greg.williams () uccs edu>