Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort packet sequence numbers remain constant

From: Shankar Narayan <keshi8086 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 15:55:47 -0800

Cool. Thanks!

Tried it out. Makes more sense now. However isn't this a bit non-intuitive?
The alert shows up for the same stream multiple times with no change in
properties. Is there a way to suppress this such that I can be alerted only
when the entire data has been received or transmitted? Like detecting an
EOF in addition to the existing rule to detect EXEs should throw up just a
single alert statement right?

This in turn leads me to another question:
Is there a nice way to extract files from packet capture in snort while its
configured inline? There are many data carving modules out there which
analyse on pcap dumps but I was wondering if it'd be a cool feature to have
within snort as an additional module.

Thanks,
--keshi