Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.4 Now Available

From: Amm Snort <ammdispose-snort () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 00:15:27 +0800 (SGT)

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Sent: Tuesday, 4 December 2012 8:42 PM

Just a query. Few months back it was declared in list about major changes coming in 2.9.4.

I don't remember declaring 2.9.4 was a major change, but, that's okay, be that as it may,
we do have some cool things in the works, but unfortunately that's all I can say about it right now.

Ok my bad. I thought it was 2.9.4 but you had said 2.9.5

http://seclists.org/snort/2012/q3/464

So may be we will get to know what is coming in 2.9.5 soon.

2) Is unified log still compatible with current barnyard2 and BASE?

Yes, the unified2 method of logging is going anywhere.

I suppose you meant "not" going anywhere.

3) Is upgrade process documented anywhere? If so, please share the link.

It all depends on how you installed it.  I'd suggest uninstalling the old version and
then installing the new version (instead of trying to install over the old).
But if you are subscribed to the Snort-users list, that's the best place to ask
questions about upgrading and installation.

Thanks. I already upgraded without much hassel or changes to snort.conf

AMM.