Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort unable to log alert to database mysql

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 19:32:25 +0300

If you want to check snort is capturing packets you can use the -A console switch when running snort; this way each
alert triggered will be displayed on the console instead of being logged into a file.
So your command may look like
/usr/snort/bin/snort -c /usr/snort/etc/snort.conf -i ethX -A console

Where  X is the interface on your box, eth0, eth1, or whatever its called.

You can enable protocol-icmp rules and test with pings.

YM