Snort mailing list archives

Re: newbq: snort working, getting hits, got sig id's. What now?

From: Tony Robinson <deusexmachina667 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 23:31:09 -0500

Have to agree with these folks. This is what analysts get paid to do; look
at signatures, correlate the source and the destination, and make
determinations based off of rule documentation and baselines of what is
considered "normal" activity for the source or destination system(s) in
question. A good portion of the time, and this is especially true of the
vrt rules, the rule metadata will have urls and links to articles
explicitly stating what it is the rule is attempting to detect, what
software version of X software it affects and most of the time, what patch
fixes the issue. you determine if you are running the software and software
version in question, whether or not the vulnerability has been patched and
you go from there.

(yes... I know I'm oversimplifying this greatly.. don't hurt me.)

you did the easy part in setting up your IDS, the hard part is making
determinations based on what you know.

some things to make it easier:
if the rule is a vrt rule, the file opensource.gz on snort.org, while
massive. has documentation on a boatload of rules they have released.
additionally the rule search on snort.org can give you good information as
well: http://www.snort.org/search

finally, there was a video that was posted some time ago where Joel did a
presentation on doing exactly what it is you're trying to do... damned if I
can find it though :\... hopefully someone else has it?

regards,

DA