Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problems with detecting source ip

From: Giles Coochey <giles () coochey net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:16:29 +0000

On 28-11-2012 12:57, Dmitry Korzhevin wrote:
28.11.2012 12:52, Giles Coochey пишет:
On 28-11-2012 10:04, Dmitry Korzhevin wrote:
Hi,

I have server, which i user for VPN (ipsec and pptp). I configured
Snort+barnyard2+mysql+snorby web interface.

You probably ought to disable PPTP...

I can't disable pptp, as i have users, which use it.

And you may also have people who are breaking into it too

http://lists.randombit.net/pipermail/cryptography/2012-April/002729.html

DES these days is easily breakable in 30 minutes.

Problem, is when i login to snorby web interface, i see many
alerts,
but for all alerts Source IP - is server ip. I wish see internal
client ip, not server ip.

Sounds like you are collecting on your outside interface after NAT
has
taken place.

So, seems this interface configuration error?

Yes, run it specifying the appropriate "-i <interface>" on the snort
command line.

Where interface is the pre-NAT interface facing your clients.

Try attaching snort to the other (the inside one, facing your
clients)
Interface on the server.

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest
Snort news!