Snort mailing list archives

Re: No data being collected by Snort

From: Jeremy Hoel <jthoel () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:47:04 +0000

"Snort successfully validated the
configuration" "Snort exiting"

 That sounds like you are running snort in test mode (-T in the
command line somewhere).

When it's running deamon or foreground mode, you should see something
like "Commencing packet processing"

In regards to output, if the snort runs and stops then it's not
decoding packets and snort.log will be empty.  In the snort.conf you
might have some output lines (near the bottom of the file, but above
the rules).  if you don't have any configured then snort logs to
snort.log.xxxx and something else.

normally, for best practice, you should have snort setup to "output
unified2..." so that barnyard can read the unified files and send the
data to one of many places (SIEM, front end, syslog, DB, etc).

Mine looks like:
output unified2: filename snort.u2, limit 128

and that creates files called snort.u2.xxxx (xxx is the timestamp) and
rolls the files over at 128 MB.