Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help with Alerts

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 12:00:26 -0400

On 9/9/2012 09:09, James Lay wrote:

On Sep 8, 2012, at 6:31 PM, waldo kitty<wkitty42 () windstream net>  wrote:

On 9/8/2012 07:53, Joel Esler wrote:
If you are using pulledpork, it should generate your Sid-MSG.map for you. Are
you using pulledpork?

and if you are not using pulledpork, there is a tool in the utilities area for
this... at least there was in the older versions of snort... i guess it is still
there?

  create-sidmap.pl /path/to/rules>  /path/to/sidmap/sid-msg.map

Actually I think that's part of oinkmaster :)

it might be... i dunno... i've seen it as a separate tool in several places...
gotta dance a little dance if one has more than one rule directory, though...

create-sidmap.pl /path/to/VRT/rules   >  /path/to/sidmap/sid-msg.map
create-sidmap.pl /path/to/ET/rules    >> /path/to/sidmap/sid-msg.map
create-sidmap.pl /path/to/other/rules >> /path/to/sidmap/sid-msg.map
create-sidmap.pl /path/to/local/rules >> /path/to/sidmap/sid-msg.map

then one might want to run the resulting file thru sort and possibly unique but
unique shouldn't be necessary since there should not be any duplicated SIDs...
snort doesn't like them anyway and will fall over when it finds them...

FWIW: i prefer to keep my rules from other parties in different directories
because it makes management and removal of deprecated rules files easier to
manage... i can't stand the everything in one file approach as it breaks
management's categorizing methods and i don't like their particular brand of
whine with my cheese and crackers if you know what i mean ;)