Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort against DARPA Dataset

From: Sravan Bhamidipati <bsravanin () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 13:20:30 -0400

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Patrick Mullen <pmullen () sourcefire com>wrote:

Excellent assistance, Sunny, Robert, and Waldo!

Yes. Thank you all very much. It adds a lot to my understanding.

 There isn't much I can add to what they've already said, but I was
curious if you could provide the list of attacks you are trying to detect.
 If you have it, both name and CVE(s) would be ideal.

Patrick, the data sets and the truth files can be found under the "Testing
Data" section here:
http://www.ll.mit.edu/mission/communications/ist/corpora/ideval/data/1998data.html.
The truth files are simply white-space-separated lines of an ID, source IP,
source port, destination IP, destination port, application level protocol
(or just port number in some cases).

The names and descriptions about the types of attacks are here:
http://www.ll.mit.edu/mission/communications/ist/corpora/ideval/docs/attacks.html.
I couldn't find any CVEs. (My knowledge about what exactly to look for is
very limited, mostly guided by the Snort manual and the DARPA set
documentation in the sidebar.)

I wasn't able to correlate between the types of attacks and the labeled
attacks. For now I'm only using the info from the labeled attacks.

In the Sourcefire VRT snort rule set, typically we will never delete a rule
unless it has serious performance and/or false positive issues.  Generally
speaking, if a rule is "old" or "not really seen in the wild anymore," we
will only remove the rule from default policies but will keep them
available for anyone who wishes to have that protection.

Thank you for this clarification.

Hope this helps,

~Patrick
--