Snort mailing list archives

Re: Low hanging fruit - inforet

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:55:56 -0600

On 2012-08-29 14:06, Joel Esler wrote:
Looking into this now.  Thanks James.

On Aug 29, 2012, at 3:47 PM, James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>

On 2012-08-29 13:34, lists () packetmail net wrote:
On 08/29/12 14:27, James Lay wrote:
Pretty sure these will change to something else over time.  Maybe
useful, maybe not :)

This is associated with a Blackhole mailing campaign purporting to
originate
from IRS (typical); I starting seeing this on the 27th, IMHO I'm
not
sure it's
worth inclusion because it changes on a per-campaign basis
(photo.htm,
upload.htm, inforet.html, etc etc)

I saw it with hxxp://metrotienda.netai.net/inforet.html

Respectfully,
Nathan

Yea...kinda figured but thought I'd chuck it out there :)  Thanks
Nathan.

James

Good deal...thanks Joel.  Additionally, threats that usually come in
via email (latest one I saw was the whole eFax thing) I've been taking
and adding to monitor port 25 since that's the initial point of entry.
It's dicey due to the probability of FP's (I've had only a couple) but
is extremely nice to pinpoint the the root cause.  Just a couple pennies
:)

James