Snort mailing list archives

Re: which rules to load ?

From: "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:23:58 -0600

Hi,

Personally, I would do either of these approaches to start (using Pulled Pork... nothing else is as good, IMO)

1. Enable ALL the rules OR use "security" or "balanced" configuration to get started (look in the PulledPork docs for
an explanation of these).
2. Monitor your system for false positives and remove these via pulledpork.
3. Monitor your system for performance and either use BPFs to exclude traffic, disable poorly performing rules or beef
up your equipment.

That's it.  No magic formula, just work.