Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort IDS vs my firewall

From: Pratik Narang <pratik.cse.bits () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:05:36 +0530

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com> wrote:

On Aug 24, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Pratik Narang <pratik.cse.bits () gmail com>
wrote:

I wish to set up Snort as an IDS and then benchmark its performance
with the performance of the firewall which my network runs. I dont
intend to use Snort as an IPS as yet. All I want is that my IDS should
be able to generate alerts, warnings etc. for all that stuff for which
the firewall is presently doing. And when that is achieved, the IDS,
equipped with suitable IPS capabilities, will be fit enough to replace
the firewall.

So, Question One. Are my plans wise enough? Can Snort IDS do all the
work which a professional firewall is presently doing? (Since I am
asking about an IDS, you can safely assume I am going to run captured
data of the firewall traffic)

No.  Snort is not a firewall, it's an IPS.  These are different
technologies.  There is a new class of devices now called "NGFW", which I'll
talk about in a second.

Question two - I see that to a good extent Snort rules are directed
towards alerts for buffer overflows, injection attacks, information
leak etc. While a firewall surely does alert for these, a firewall
also does a good deal of content blocking. As an example our present
firewall blocks access to all gaming sites, gambling sites, hacking
sites, sites containing adult material, etc. I am unable to understand
how such a thing is to be achieved through Snort.

That kind of stuff is easy to write custom rules for.  But there are other
products you may want to look into as well.

Other products like?

For the Sourcefire guys out there- Will it be right to call the
Snort's commercial version a 'firewall' ?

No.  Our NGIPS devices have Snort as a component in them, a long with many
other software features to be able to do above and beyond the massive amount
of things that Snort already takes care of for you.

As for a firewall functionality, we developed and released the Sourcefire
Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW).

http://www.sourcefire.com/security-technologies/network-security/next-generation-firewall

This is Snort, a firewall, and much more.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT