Snort mailing list archives

Re: Configuring Snort

From: Marcos Rodriguez <marcos.e.rodriguez () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:35:52 -0400

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Damien Hull <dhull () section9 us> wrote:

I've snort installed but the rules don't seem to be working. Here's
what I have.

snort: 2.9.3.1
snort rules: 2.9.2.3
OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Other: Barnyard2

I know snort and barnyard2 are working. I added the following to
local.rules and it works.
          alert icmp any any -> any any (msg: "ICMP Packet found";
sid:1001;)

I commented out the dynamic detection stuff because that wasn't
2.9.3.1
          # path to dynamic rules libraries
          # dynamicdetection directory
/usr/local/snort/lib/snort_dynamicrules

I have the scanning section configured. I thought that would allow me
to scan the system and snort would trigger an alert. No such luck.
         # Portscan detection.  For more information, see README.sfportscan
         preprocessor sfportscan: proto  { all } scan_type { all }
memcap { 10000000 } s$

Why does the simple rule in local.rules work but a port scan doesn't
get detected?

Hiya Damien,

Sounds like maybe you're not loading your preprocessor.rules file.  The
portscan rules are in that file, under preproc_rules.  Does this line exist
in your current snort.conf:

var PREPROC_RULE_PATH ../preproc_rules

marcos