Snort mailing list archives

Re: false positives Mit lincoln laboratory and snort signatures

From: "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:27:07 -0600

You want us to teach you how to be a Security Analyst?

1.     Look at the attacks from the DARPA dataset (they must be described somewhere, somehow?)

2.     Grep for the rule that fired in you rules file and see what it was looking for in the network traffic.

3.     Review all the links associated with the rule.

4.     Correlate all your information.

5.     Profit.

Simple!