Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] Downloading older versions of snort

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 12:21:02 -0400

On Aug 9, 2012, at 12:11 PM, Mike Cox <mike.cox52 () gmail com> wrote:

I have let this question sit out there for over two (2) years now:

http://seclists.org/snort/2010/q1/104

I didn't see it, or I would have responded.  :)

But I did see that both Nigel and evilghost responded, and evilghost actually provided you a link to the software
itself.  But let me answer your questions.

Still, I see no clear way to get/download specific "older" versions of
Snort.  I know this would be very useful to many people and I can't
understand why Snort, an allegedly "Open Source" product, would do
this.  Sure, I understand that there are major flaws in the current
and latest releases of Snort but many manufactures (like my router/DPI
solution) have frozen certain version and I would like to test against
Snort (to see why performance/detection is so bad but this
conversation is anecdotal).

We used to put them out, but we stopped keeping them on the site because people were downloading very old versions and
then asking us to fix a problem they were experiencing, etc.  So the decision was made (prior to me becoming the
community manager) to only keep the current version available for download on the site.  That way people stay current
with the product, as you'd update any other piece of software, it's pretty important to keep the software that protects
you up to date as well.

 Is Snort/SourceFire afraid of
their past "sins"?

Nope.  Or it wouldn't be an open source project.  It would go closed like a lot of other open source products have.
But we aren't interested in doing that, and have no intension of closing Snort up.  Anyone can download and keep the
old versions and diff the code.  Im fact, one version back (from current) is kept on sourceforge.net:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/snort/files/snort/

See above for the reasons we remove the old stuff.

Serious past flaws in Snort can be learned from
and the evolution of such a prolific IDS can also be fodder for
understanding, innovation, and improvement.

Good points.  I'll discuss this with the team and see what I can do.

Sorry for the long winded response.  All I want is to be able to
download older versions of Snort.  Please help me out (anyone), I have
waited many years (literally).

Again.  Didn't see the original email.  In the future, if you don't receive a response in a week or so, I'd repost.
Waiting two years for a response will get you no where.

What version do you want?  I'll see if I can get it for you.