Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort install

From: Tony Robinson <trobinson () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 14:44:33 -0400

I'm not Joel,

but best practices for most security devices/appliances usually include
ports that perform the security functions, and handle service traffic, and
a port that is used for administrative/management functions. For example,
most firewalls have a management port for configuring the appliance out of
band (e.g. dialing into it) or from the protected internal network. This is
to prevent access to unauthorized users and to ensure that service traffic
is separated from administrative traffic in the event of interface failure.
So more or less its done for both device security and redundancy purposes.

The same concepts apply to Snort. Snort, regardless of whether or not it is
deployed inline (IPS) or passively (IDS), is designed to have a network
interface (or interfaces) dedicated just inspecting network traffic, not
responding to it and therefore is very hard to detect by both authorized
and unauthorized users. By configuring snort to sniff traffic on the same
interface you intend to manage it from, you open of the possibility of your
device being discovered by unauthorized users, and resulting in said users
attempting to exploit the system or circumvent it. A properly designed
snort system is nearly undetectable, provided the management interface is
separate and properly secured. The sniffing interfaces are meant to be very
hard to detect.

The other side of this is, if you configured your IPS to be managed from
its sniffing interface, you run into the possibility of being unable to
remotely manage it if it gets too busy or there is too much traffic going
to the sensing interfaces. There exists the possibility that the interface
may end up so busy that the OS kernel drops your management traffic, making
the system unable to be managed remotely. (Not to mention the possibility
of locking yourself out of the system by deploying a rule that may end up
dropping your management traffic.)

So to summarize, we recommend a separate management interface to prevent
detection of IDS/IPS controls on your network, and also to serve as
dedicated remote management in the event the sniffing interface(s) become
overloaded and unable to process your management traffic. Hope this helps
in your understanding.

-Tony