Snort mailing list archives

Dealing with Snort rules and signatures

From: Pratik Narang <pratik.cse.bits () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:11:18 +0530

Answers or comments, anyone? :)

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Pratik Narang
<pratik.cse.bits () gmail com> wrote:
As and when Snort sees packets, how it deals with them? I read in the
manual- "The Pass rules are applied first, then the Drop rules, then
the Alert rules and finally, Log rules are applied" and "the event
processing is terminated when a pass rule is encountered".
So, will all pass rules be *always* applied to a packet? Or will the
packet be 'passed' after the x rules are hit? And does this 'x' differ
from protocol to protocol???
And does the above procedure differ for Drop, Alert and Log rules???

Snort rules are huge in number. For the sake of higher efficiency, how
can I customize Snort to do, say, that 'after you see that such-n-such
packet(s) triggers such-n-such rule(s), take <this> action on it/
apply no more rules on it'.

How does Snort deal with encrypted packets? How does it deal with
packets on SSL, and packets on TCP & TLS?

How does it deal with compressed (zipped) packets? Can signatures be
applied to them without loss of efficiency?