Snort mailing list archives

Re: OS options to monitor traffic over a 1GiB and 10 GiB

From: livio Ricciulli <livio () metaflows com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 11:28:46 -0700

Waldo is right however we should NOT throw away quantitative
analysis and give up. If you understand the different dimensions
of sensitivity, you can easily do quantitative experiments to say
configuration A is better than configuration B given the same traffic
and the same rules (for example)..

So, as Waldo says, plain absolute numbers are usually not very
meaningful, but relative numbers are very, very important.. I would
love to see someone do relative comparison of BSD VS Linux using
PF_RING and identical configurations and identical traffic..

Livio.