Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort's modules

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:41:32 -0400

On Jul 25, 2012, at 8:58 AM, Pratik Narang <pratik.cse.bits () gmail com> wrote:

I have been playing around with Snort for a while now. I am beginning to wonder that apart from its Signatures being
its biggest strength, what else are the things on which Snort relies upon? Prima facie, the preprocessor modules
don't involve signatures- am I right here? Does Snort have an Anomaly engine?? If not, i would be interested in
knowing how all the network stuff which cannot be detected via signatures (or you may say that I do not wish to use
signatures) can be detected with Snort?

Snort can detect many things without looking into its rules engine. Obviously, as you said the ruleset being one of the
most effective pieces of Snort.

The preprocessors can be considered anomaly detection most definitely. If you look at the alerts that it generates.