Snort mailing list archives

PF-ring and snort performance

From: Vinayak Malshetty <Vinayak_Malshetty () mindtree com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:10:59 +0000

Hi all,

I am using pfsend and snort (installed with pfring DAQ module) for sending traffic and capturing reply. I am seeing
performance related issues which is as below

A5(linux m/c) ----------------A6(linux m/c)

Running pfsend on A6 machine as "./pfsend -i eth4 -l 64 -r 1" to send traffic at 1G/s
Running snort on A5 machine as snort --daq-dir=/usr/local/lib/daq --daq pfring --daq-mode passive -i eth4 -c
sample.conf
When I take a look at statistics reported by snort I am observing that %dropped is almost 70% ,not capturing all the
packets sent by pfsend at 1G line rate.

Can anyone let me know  if any additional configuration needs to be done or am I missing anything here. It will be
great help to me

Please find the attached sample.conf, pfsend and snort logs

I have one more question w.r.t pfsend, when I am using pfsend with -r 1 it means send traffic at full line-rate i.e 1
Gigbits/sec. Expected is that pfsend should send around 1488095 pkts/sec, but pfsend is sending at rate of [current
625'048.82 pps/] please see the file pf_send.txt.

Can anyone explain why is this so ??

Thanks,
-Vinayak