Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to decide which rules should be enabled.

From: Jeremy Hoel <jthoel () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:29:41 +0000

To test a snort config it's  'snort -T -c <path to snort.conf file>'
To see if it's detecting alerts, make a rule in local.rules that
alerts on any any and then start snort and see that an alert gets
generated (best to have barnyard output to syslog at this point).
Once alerts are generated, then have barnyard go to unified2 and away
you go.

As for rule enabling and tweaking, that's a much larger topic.  Each
site being different, what we do (did) was use pulledpork to enable
the groups of rules that we wanted and then used disabled and
threshold to remove or squash rules that we didn't need.  Then we
would add another group and see what changes over time.  there's no
real easy right or wrong way to add rules, but via trial and error.