Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple Snorts (and PF_RING)

From: livio Ricciulli <livio () metaflows com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:00:39 -0700

I've got about 800 rules.
     Wow, that's good..
We're using a BPF for Snort (set in snort.conf) - does anyone know
whether the statistics from Snort or PF_RING are packet counts
including the traffic then excluded by the BPF?
I think BPF filters are applied before anything gets counted. Good
thinking though..
I think we need to look at trying to use the hardware filtering of the
ixgbe driver when I can work it out - and probably moving our sensor
back where it was.
As I reported in one of my earlier posts, unfortunately the ixgbe is
very good at doing simplex
hw filtering but when you are in passive, IDS mode where you see both
directions of the
traffic in one interface, the ixgbe hw filtering is very limited..

Livio.
- --
Peter Bates
Senior Computer Security Officer    Phone: +44(0)2076792049
Information Services Division     Internal Ext: 32049
University College London
London WC1E 6BT