Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort syslog output support

From: James Lay <digitalx00 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 04:57:21 -0600

On Sep 14, 2012, at 12:22 AM, Randal T. Rioux <randy () procyonlabs com> wrote:

On 5/30/2012 8:33 AM, James Lay wrote:
On May 30, 2012, at 5:51 AM, Kungu Panda wrote:
I need to send snort syslog alerts to out central syslog system.  I
thought I read in a previous posting that snort syslog output was
going away.  Is this still true, has it happened?

What would be the best way to perform this? Any
recommendations/ideas would be helpful.

Thanks! KPanda

I certainly hope not….having IDS go to syslog is a PCI requirement
(Section 10 of PCI DSS 2.0).  Not having this would be bad.

Hey kids. I'm back. Catching up on email lists - I'm up to May. Been a
little... distracted.

Is the language verbatim that "syslog" must send the alerts, or that
they just need to be collected and stored? For example, Ci$co uses SDEE,
but I've never seen that fail a PCI audit.

I'd look it up myself, but my dog just farted on me and I need to get
away fast.

Randy

Negative.  PCI DSS 2.0 requires a "central logging server".  How you log and strs is up to you.

James