Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-users] OS options to monitor traffic over a 1GiB and 10 GiB

From: Livio Ricciulli <livio () metaflows com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:31:16 -0700

I am all for sharing and collaborating. Use our work for whatever
purpose you'd like. It would be great to make it into an howto.
In my experience, more transparency==better quality; so the more you can
add the better for everyone. Luca is always very helpful..
Another issue I was exploring with not much success is hardware
filtering with the 82599 (x520 is just a dual version of it).
I can translate a subset of bpf expressions to hw registers to install
into the hardware instead the software bpf. Unfortunately I
run into a snag.. If anyone can add or subtract from the following I
would appreciate it, since hw filtering would be very interesting for
10G Snort deployments.. Please tell me that I am wrong..

As far as I can tell the 82599 designers have made very powerful
hardware exclusively designed
for endpoint (therefore simplex) filtering applications.
In plain English here is what the chip is capable of (using bpf language).

128 5-tuple /32 rules capable of masking out any of the 5 fields.
These filters could only handle:
o 1/2 of a simplex class c.
For example to implement a bpf like (src net 192.168.1.128/25)
one could add (src host 192.168.1.128) or (src host 192.168.1.129) or
..(src host 192.168.1.255)
o 1/4 of duplex class c.
For example to implement a bpf like (net 192.168.1.192/26)
one could add (src host 192.168.1.192) or (src host 192.168.1.193) or
..(src host 192.168.1.255)
or (dst host 192.168.1.192) or (dst host 192.168.1.193) or ..(dst host
192.168.1.255)
8k perfect FDIR filters.
Unfortunately (&##*&@!!!) these filters have 1 single global 96-bit mask
value for the source/destination addresses and ports.
So, you could only implement simplex things like:
o (src net 192.168.1.0/26 or src net 192.168.2.0/32 or src net
10.1.0.0/24) #note that the masks can change because you could
enumerate 32-bit addresses up to 8k times with the same mask.
o (src portrange 0-8000) #in this case you would be masking both src and
dst addresses.
o (vlan 19 or vlan 20 or vlan 21)
duplex address and port filters are impossible (afikt).

So, in short, you can have only very small and simple duplex expressions
as 5-tuple filters or larger but only simplex FDIR expressions.

I think the best solution regarding the 82599 hw filtering is to do vlan
ID filtering..
Would any of the other address filtering options (very small duplex or
larger simplex) useful to you?
I am not sure if it is worth implementing them (even though I could do
it with a few more days of work).
I guess if you wanted to do hw filtering using a inline 10Gbps box,
the simplex FDIR filtering could work by applying mirrored filters
on both interfaces. For example to implement an expression like
(net 192.168.1.0/24) eth1 would get src net 192.168.1.0/24 and eth2
would gets dst net 192.168.1.0/24.

I am not sure how many people would have a need for hw filtering
for an inline box based on a dual 82599..

I am trying to figure out if it is worth pursuing it further..
What do you think?