Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sig help (Tumblr redirect)

From: "Lay, James" <james.lay () wincofoods com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:31:43 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Mullen [mailto:pmullen () sourcefire com]
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2012 11:01 AM
To: Lay, James
Cc: snort-sigs () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] Sig help (Tumblr redirect)

James,

While it wouldn't be comprehensive coverage, I don't see a reason why
your rule wouldn't be a good way to catch a bunch of these spam
messages if it's a common theme.

Since you asked, there are two things I would do to improve the rule.
One is a performance improvement, the other is a readability
improvement.

The readability improvement is that your content match is all ascii
data so it's much easier to see what's going on if you use the actual
ascii rather than the hex code in your rule.  It gets loaded the same
way into the rule engine so there is no performance difference for
using either method.

content:"='://e'|3b|"  (Note I did still have to convert the semicolon
to make the rules parser's life easier)

The performance change is a huge boost by using fast_pattern:only on
the content match.  Doing so implies nocase but here it doesn't matter
and you actually specify it in your rule.  What this directive does is
put the content match into the fast pattern matcher but removes it
from the list of checks once evaluating the rule itself, effectively
making it so the content match is only checked once.  Note you can
only do fast_pattern:only if case sensitivity is not important and the
match is location independent meaning it is not relative to anything
and nothing is relative to it.

content:"='://e'|3b|"; fast_pattern:only;

The resulting rule is the following --

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"WEB-CLIENT
Tumblr spam redirect"; flow:from_server; file_data;
content:"='://e'|3b|"; fast_pattern:only; metadata:policy security-ips
drop, service http; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:10000014; rev:1;)

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

~Patrick

--
Patrick Mullen
Research Manager

Thanks a bunch Patrick...I initially tried all ascii at first, but
couldn't get it to go...thanks to you now I understand that I need to
hex the semicolon..ironically I'm just looking at my print out of the
Snort manual and sure as the world it says what to escape on page
181...go me 8-|.  And thanks for the expansion on fast_pattern..I'm
still trying to wrap my head around it.

James