Snort mailing list archives

Re: A "drop" rule using inline mode and NFQ mode causes an outbound network flood

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 14:06:36 -0400

I'm not sure why you see the flood.  It seems like the resets are causing
resets, which the code looks out for.

Can you send a pcap of the onset of the flood?

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Gerard Beekmans <gerard () beekmansworld com>wrote:

preprocessor stream5_global: track_tcp yes, \
   track_udp yes, \
   track_icmp no, \
   max_tcp 262144, \
   max_udp 131072, \
   max_active_responses 2, \
   min_response_seconds 5

Would removing the max_active_responses make a difference? It doesn't
seem to be set incorrectly. I'll give it a try regardless.

It could be the cause of the resets.

Confirmed. Removing the option made the problem go away. The drop rule
still works as planned. I get occasional F flags being sent out now (Fin -
end of data) after the rule triggered but nothing to yet worry about.

Now the question remains: why would that config option cause the flood and
how can it be fixed? From what I understand of it, it's a feature that
could be helpful in some situations.

Thanks for the help Russ.

Gerard