Snort mailing list archives

Questions about a couple alerts

From: "Gibson, Samuel" <gibsons () my uwstout edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 16:44:07 +0000

Hello,

I keep getting the following alerts:

ssp_ssl: Invalid Client HELLO after Server HELLO Detected and smtp: Attempted data header buffer overflow.

I have a few questions about how to handle them.

When I look at the captures from the ssp_ssl alert,  I see a second Client Hello is sent in a TCP Retransmission.  I am
wondering if this it the desired behavior of Snort, to alert on this condition, and I should just configure
threshold.conf to suppress it.

The smtp buffer overflow alert is interesting in that the data in the packet listed in Sguil seems to be part of the
body of the email.

Thanks,

Sam