Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-users] SHELLCODE base64 x86 NOOP

From: Patrick Mullen <pmullen () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 09:58:58 -0400

Hello!

Sorry for the confusion. What I am trying to ask if why only these NOP
opcodes are choosen?
<snip>
How about others?

Thanks for the great discussion about the NOP rules.  The intent
behind the rules is to detect common forms of simple NOP sleds.
'\x90' is the only true NOP in x86 machine code, but technically any
instruction that does not adversely affect the desired shellcode is an
"effective NOP."  Since we can't possibly detect every single
combination of bytes that works as a NOP for every possible shellcode,
we chose to write signatures for the most common forms -- '\x90', 'A',
'B', 'C', and 'D'.  This strategy has proven to be quite effective in
the field but if you have suggestions on other forms we should look
for I'd welcome the input.

Thanks,

~Patrick
--