Snort mailing list archives

Re: New to writing Snort Rules. Help writing a rule?

From: Balasubramaniam Natarajan <bala150985 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 12:08:48 +0530

Hi Tyler,

Could you please give us a small network diagram of how your setup looks
like ?  I cannot get the full picture with your explanation below.

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Tyler MacPherson <tah338 () sr unh edu> wrote:

Hi,

I recently put Snort on a system for my work. I'm trying to configure it
by writing certain rules, but since I'm brand new to Snort, I'm having
some trouble figuring out how to write these rules. Basically, the
system I'm deploying Snort on should only be receiving traffic through
two avenues: a MySQL database and Oracle database that are linked to it.
Everything else should be picked up Snort as potentially being bad. What
I'm wondering is, how would I go about writing rules that would achieve
this goal?

Thank you.

--
Tyler MacPherson