Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort inline latency

From: Ian Bowers <iggdawg () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 16:18:54 -0400

If you have a VLAN capable switch, use VLANs to place the snort sensor
inline.  run your tests, calculate latency.  Then use VLANs to take the
sensor out of line.  repeat tests.  Do this a couple times to make sure you
have consistent results.   I use this technique all the time in my lab to
toss test appliances or VMs in the path of traffic without having to mess
around with cables like.  IE:

Snort inline:
Server --- VLAN 102 ---- snort --- VLAN 103 --- router --- client

Snort removed:
Server --- VLAN 102 --- router --- client
   VLAN 104 --- snort --- VLAN 104

inline, both sides of snort are on different VLANs, and act as if they're
on their own little switches.  The switchports are access ports so the end
devices don't see the VLAN tags.  In the second scenario, snort sits in its
own little penalty box on VLAN 104 where the two sensor ports don't talk to
anyone.  the router and the server are both on VLAN 102 at this point and
can communicate directly.  I'm assuming a router is involved but it doesn't
have to be.   just eliminate the router and put the client in its place,
works the same.  I pick random VLANs in the 100s for most examples to
discourage people from using native VLANs by mistake since that may break
the scanario.

Example switch config if you're using Cisco gear:

INLINE:
vlan 102
 name servernet_inside
vlan 103
 name servernet_outside

interface FastEthernet0/4
 description Server access port
 switchport access vlan 102
 switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet0/5
 description Snort HOME_NET port
 switchport access vlan 102
 switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet0/6
 description Snort EXTERNAL_NET port
 switchport access vlan 103
 switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet0/7
 description Router access port
 switchport access vlan 103
 switchport mode access

REMOVED:

vlan 102
 name servernet_inside
vlan 104
 name on_deck

interface FastEthernet0/4
 description Server access port
 switchport access vlan 102
 switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet0/5
 description Snort HOME_NET port
 switchport access vlan 104
 switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet0/6
 description Snort EXTERNAL_NET port
 switchport access vlan 104
 switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet0/7
 description Router access port
 switchport access vlan 102
 switchport mode access

Regards,
-Ian

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Abdelmonaim Mokadem <