Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question regarding snort statistics

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 09:49:06 -0400

The Snort code is available at www.snort.org.  I suggest you take a look at it and see how you can modify it to fit
your purpose.

On May 4, 2012, at 6:45 AM, Efthymia Tsamoura wrote:

Hi all,

My name is Efi and Im a PhD student. Im writing this email, since I
want to find out how to monitor for each rule and for each input
packet which of the rule's predicates were satisfied and which not for
the specific packet that is currently being processed. For example,
given the rule

alert tcp 1.1.1.1 any -> 2.2.2.2 80 (content:"BOB"; gid:1000001;
sid:1; rev:1;),

i want for each packet statistics of the form:

Packet 1 satisfied Protocol=tcp and srcIp = 1.1.1.1
and did not satisfy destIp = 2.2.2.2 and destport = 80 and content = "BOB"

What are the modifications that need to be performed to the src to get
this info? For example, which functions, data structures hold this
info ...

Best Regards,
Efi