Snort mailing list archives

Trying to detect a ping sweep

From: Aaron Evers <secure.badger () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 16:30:33 -0500

Greetings,

I am trying to configure snort 2.9.1.2 to detect a variety of network
discovery traffic.  I'd like to be able to detect a ping sweep in the
following manner:  a source address sends icmp echo requests to x number of
unique destination addresses over x period of time.

For example, a host that sends 10 pings to a single destination address
over the course of 60 seconds does not generate an alert, but a host that
sends 10 pings, each to a different destination address over the course of
60 seconds does generate an alert.  Is this possible?  I haven't been able
to find a way with the online manual.

Thanks!