Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help with inline setup

From: Simon Blixt <blixten_496 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:30:53 +0000

Hi,

I'm copying Lysemose's answer to me when I asked a kinda relevant question like yours, hopes it's helpful:
<quote from Lysemose>
You need to  decide whether you want to run Snort as IDS or IPS. IDS is
pure information gathering and with IPS you can make the Snort engine
block traffic/packets. You shouldn't provide the monitoring interface
with an IP.
IDS

You need to set your monitor interface to promiscuous mode and the port
it is connected to on the switch needs to be set to span/mirroring.

If you're going this way I can really recommend NIDS distro called SecurityOnion, http://securityonion.blogspot.com.
IPS

You need 3 interfaces, one for management and two for the bridge which
Snort will create for you. Your interfaces needs to be set to
promiscuous mode too.
To the command you need to add -Q (run in inline mode) and -i
eth1:eth2 (adds the interface pair on which Snort creates the bridge)</end of quote>
Yours,Blixten