Snort mailing list archives

Re: ERROR: Can't find pcap DAQ!

From: "Jonathan S. Abrams" <jonathansabrams () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:13:54 -0500

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Jonathan S. Abrams <
jonathansabrams () gmail com> wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I discovered that I need to run this command
to avoid the error message.

sudo snort -de -i en0 --daq-dir /usr/local/lib/daq

I took a look in the readme that comes with daq 0.6.2, and it is
installed where the readme says it would be.  Is it a problem that daq is
installed in /usr/local/lib/daq?  Will Snort not work without the option
above in all commands?  If this is a problem that will prevent Snort from
working, what is the best way to resolve it?

--daq-dir is not required if the static DAQ is built.  Your config.log
will probably have a clue as to why that wasn't built.

After Googling the above tip, I found
http://vrt-blog.snort.org/2010/08/snort-29-essentials-daq.html.  I
recompiled snort using the following command.

./configure --with-daq-includes=/usr/local/include/
--with-daq-libraries=/usr/local/lib/

Now when I execute sudo snort -de -i en0, I do not receive an error.
 However, I am using Snort with OSX.  Here's a bit of text from the INSTALL
file that is included with Snort.
--
* Open BSD / Free BSD / MAC OSX

Thanks for reading!