Snort mailing list archives

Packet Capturing

From: Mahammed Faiz Aboalmaali <mohammadfaiz2003 () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 22:35:01 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,
Have a good day,
I have a question about how snort capture the packets using libpcap. From my understanding in libpcap there are two
function for capturing packets, pcap_loop() and pcap_next_ex(). which one of them used by Snort and why?. and generally
which one of there function is more preferable (faster) for high speed links ? . Sorry if my question is not reliable.
by the way, I found these two function in the tutorials of WinPcap, but I think that both, libpcap and winpcap are
compatible.
Regards,
Mohammed Faiz Aboalmaaly