Snort mailing list archives

Re: IMAP Qualcomm WorldMail IMAP Literal Token Parsing Buffer Overflow

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:24:44 -0400

Thanks rmkml, I've reopened the original research to see what we can do, if anything.  We have replicated the
vulnerability, and it does not "require" "}" to be there.  The public exploits that you reference simply use that
character.  So you will have severe FN with your modifications.  In fact, we have one exploit (that is public) that
doesn't use "}" at all.

Also the new(ish) imap preprocessor will fire on several of the public exploits that are out there simply with these
alerts:
141:1:1         (IMAP) Unknown IMAP4 command

And this generic rule also fires on one of the exploits that we have:
1:2118:12       IMAP list overflow attempt

However, as I mentioned at the beginning, the "}" character isn't necessary, (we have executed shellcode on a machine
remotely without using "}").  We have reopened the bug to see if we can make more accurate detection.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT