Snort mailing list archives

Signatures and Rulesets

From: amit82 () me com
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:30:13 +0000 (UTC)

Hi everyone,

I am using Snort 2.9.2 and pulledpork to pull latest paid subscription rulesets. I am just curious with preprocessor
and decorder alerts disabled I was wondering how many rulesets are actually active to alert me on security events.
Pulledpork gives following stats

Rule Stats....
       New:-------134
       Deleted:---3
       Enabled Rules:----2803
       Dropped Rules:----0
       Disabled Rules:---9571
       Total Rules:------12374
       Done

I am guessing 2803 rules are actually enabled (rules and so rules combined). Please correct me if I am wrong.
So does Snort enable only priority rules and disables rules that were written to catch old/older attacks/issues/risks?
Just wondering how Snort priorities signatures in its every release. Are these signatures enough to catch most common
anomalies or issues, is the number comparable to what other vendors release?

Thanks,
Ams.