Snort mailing list archives

Snort>Unified2>Barnyard2>Syslog

From: amN0P () me com
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 19:11:25 +0000 (UTC)

Hi everyone,

Cannot figure this out. I have barnyard2 reading unified2 Snort output. Barnyard2 is configured to dump syslog. In
syslog files I am getting these types of Snort alerts:

Jan 12 13:43:41 argonatl snort: [1:20584:1] Snort Alert [1:20584:0] [Classification: Web Application Attack] <remaining
part suppressed>

Not sure why the exact rule name is replaced by "Snort Alert". This alert has msg missing as well. The above type of
alerts are getting reported along with alerts with expected/correct (with proper alert name and msg) alerts like.

Jan 12 13:43:41 argonatl snort: [1:12391:3] POLICY Google Webmail client chat applet [Classification: Potential Corporate
Privacy Violation] [Priority: 1]:<remaining part suppressed>

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Can you please point me to the right direction.

Thanks,
Amit