Snort mailing list archives

Snort installation

From: MALIK AZHAR MUSHTAQ <azhar_mushtaaq () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:04:39 +0000

Dear All,

I am new to snort and trying to install in VirtualBox. i am following this Snort 2.9.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
installation guide by David Gullet. I have two virtual machine in VirtualBox like one is A and second is B. I follow
all commands and install all packages in virtual machine  A. after download and install Snort section an other user
Snort is created in Virtual machine A. after that in download and install Snort rules section he said, I need to
install rules in IDS machine. here i am getting confuse where should I install these rules? Because I can not log in
Snort user that was created aromatically after installing snort. and can you please guide me why i am not be able to
login in Snort user. I will be very thankful for guide.

Thanks