Snort mailing list archives

Re: Proposed Signatures - Blackhole Exploit Kit

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:57:43 -0400

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM, lists () packetmail net
<lists () packetmail net>wrote:

Thanks Joel for the reply, let me reply in line:

On 03/13/12 19:55, Joel Esler wrote:
That's a pretty old version of PDF marking. It's almost worth it to sig
that. ;)

You're right but I know from time to time the old legitimate floats
around...

It's a negligible difference as far as performance goes  in my testing.
It's more worth it, IMO, to ensure that the qwe123 is after the PDF
content
match. At least it's in the file. I'll check again.

So help me understand this one if you don't mind and I appreciate your
wisdom.
It's my understanding, with regard to fast_pattern at least (not
fast_pattern:only), that the content match and distance:0 modifiers are
still
applied.

Yes, they do.  I tested it again, and I was right.  The PDF check is
faster than the qwe123 check by a factor of about 4.  (If you fast pattern
the qwe123 instead of the PDF it takes 4 times as long to evaluate)

As I understand the rule evaluation to be with regard to
flowbits:isset,file.pdf; file_data; content:"%PDF-1.6"; content:"qwe123";
distance:0; fast_pattern;

1) fast_pattern case-insensitive match against the file_data buffer for
"qwe123"
2) content match check for "%PDF-1.6" against the file_data buffer.
3) content match check for "qwe123" against the file_data buffer relative
to the
previous content match of "%PDF-1.6".
4) flowbit check for state of file.pdf

Actually, #4 should be #2.  Since the rule options are read left to right
after the header.  (Header is read last.)

Is this execution path correct?  As I understand it the content modifiers
like
within, distance, etc still apply to a content match which has been
explicitly
set to fast_pattern (not fast_pattern:only).

Correct.  fast_pattern is not case insensitive though.  fast_pattern:only,
however, is.

<snip>

I'm also future proofing the rule for future enhancements to the Snort
engine.  By doing what I did.

Can you elaborate more on this?

Not yet.  As I said in my blog post, 2012 is going to be a big year for
Snort.  I'll announce things when we are ready to do so.  I don't like to
put things out until we have something solid.  I don't like to over promise
and under deliver.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT