Snort mailing list archives

Re: BOTNET-CNC Possible host infection - excessive DNS queries for .eu

From: Community Signatures <lists () packetmail net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:21:19 -0500

On 03/12/12 10:14, Martin Holste wrote:
The sig, as written, will false like crazy on any medium or large
sized network because it does not take into account DNS servers or
SMTP servers (or spam gateways) which do a lot of DNS lookups.

I dunno, "detection_filter:track by_src, count 100, seconds 10;" -- even
in this high volume networks I would tend to agree that 10
queries/second is suspicious when 100 after 10 seconds is reached.

Thanks,
Nathan