Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort rule doesn't generate alerts when hosts responding simultaneously

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:34:02 -0400

I think you need to write two rules, one going out bound and one going inbound.  Add flow to both statements, and make
their msg important to the direction.

On Mar 11, 2012, at 10:55 PM, Balasubramaniam Natarajan wrote:

Hi Aymen,

Ignore my previous email.

A tag is used to tag both the source and destination and capture more packets of them rather than just one packet
which triggered the alert.

In the original rule once Snort sees PRIVMSG it would have tagged x.x.x.x going to y.y.y.y and it would have captured
all alerts up to 300 seconds.

If you are interested only to see how many client systems are involved in the bot you can changed the rule to

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"PRIVMSG from an IRC channel suspecious act"; content:"PRIVMSG"; offset:0; depth:7;
nocase; dsize:<64; flow:to_server,established; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:2000346; rev:5;)

Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

--
Regards,
Balasubramaniam Natarajan