Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] No real performance penalty?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:36:29 -0500

On Jan 11, 2012, at 6:30 AM, elof () sentor se wrote:

Now, the main workload here is the Fast Pattern matching.
The test to see if the packet is actually coming from src port 23 is only
matched on the very few tcp packets that actually contain the pattern
"login incorrect".

Right.

Have I got it right, or is there a major reason why I should not choose to
turn the telnet only rule into a general rule?

False positives and alert generation.

You'd be dealing with a ton of alerts instead of only ones on port 23.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT