Snort mailing list archives

Re: Some notes about today's VRT Rule release for 02/09/2012

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:38:32 -0500

On Feb 9, 2012, at 5:40 PM, Miso Patel wrote:

Thank you Joel.  Actually I was hoping to have the information in the email itself.  Sorry to not be clear on that.

I figure if I already get an email then I don't need to go to a web page.  Although but apparently I do.  What ends
up happening is I have to go digging thru multiple web pages since after the first web page, I has to access more
URIs since the details on what was updated is not there either on the first page.  SO you have email -> web page ->
(repeat the web page step as long as you can take it and maybe get lucky) -> real info.

If you want to do email alerts, put the info there.  Non one wants to slug thru many web pages or blogs or twitters
or whatever you kids do these days ... it will make you blind.

I see what you are saying.  I usually don't send an email to the list.  Usually the list only gets the email from
research with the direct link that I pointed out before.  (of course, after which you have to select the version of
Snort you are running, So, yes, two clicks).

But I thought it important enough that I send a one off email so the community know the awesome change we made in the
rule build.