Snort mailing list archives

Re: File-identify category

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 12:07:10 -0500

On Jan 5, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Peter Bates wrote:

Hello all...

Okay, so I've read
http://vrt-blog.snort.org/2011/11/say-hello-to-file-identify-category.html

At the moment in the ruleset there are 235 rules, of which 159 seem to
be enabled.

Eventually I'd like to get to the point where most of these are disabled and we rely on a PulledPork (or the Sourcefire
product) to enable the rules that are needed.  People are still using other tools that don't support flowbit resolution
though.

I understand the purpose is to identify certain filetypes and then set
a flowbit on them which is being used in other rulesets
(exploit.rules, web-client.rules).

Correct.

25 of the rules have 'noalert' set - I'm not particularly interested
in the actual download itself and I'm now seeing that SIDs

 18758 FILE-IDENTIFY Microsoft Windows Visual Basic script file
download request
   18983 FILE-IDENTIFY Apple Mach-O executable file magic detection
   15306 FILE-IDENTIFY Portable Executable binary file magic detection

The rules in that category that are NOT set to noalert mean that we are giving users the option to drop that type of
file from entering the  network totally.  Say, if you want to disallow someone downloading an executable, you can set
the rule to drop.  If you are not running inline, and you don't want to observe these downloads, just suppress them.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT