Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rules updates and compile-time options

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:46:47 -0500

On Jan 13, 2012, at 5:43 PM, Ben Sansnom wrote:

Hi All

I have inherited a Snort system that is configured in a way quite foreign from what I've previously managed. It runs
2.9.1, with Oinkmaster updating all on top of a Windows 2003 server (I'm stuck with the Oinkmaster and windows for
the time being. This is the first time I've seen a windows Snort config).

I'm trying to untangle why the rules updating is erratic. RULE_PATH = x:\snort\rules. Oinkmaster successfully
retrieves the file, and writes and uncompresses correctly in the TMP directory. However, within the /rules directory,
only a handful of rules are actually landing in there and the rest are never updated. The first line of all of the
handful of updated files contain the string "# Autogenerated skeleton rules file.  Do NOT edit by hand". Those rule
files plus many others in the rule directory contain significantly few signatures compared to what I see when
manually using the oinkcode to fetch the VRT tarball. However, a number of the rules (that are not updating) do begin
with the typical:
"# Copyright 2001-2005 Sourcefire, Inc. All Rights Reserved
#
# This file may contain proprietary rules that were created, tested and
# certified by Sourcefire, Inc. (the "VRT Certified Rules") etc"

The updating has succeeded on these handful of files in timeframes ranging from a couple of days to a couple of
weeks. But each time it does work, it always generates a file with the "#Autogenerated" string.

To me, it looks like the system is configured for shared-objects. However, nothing in the snort.conf references that
(all the dynamic library rules are commented out) and there is no so_rules directory on the server at all.

Is the assumption that shared-objects are in play correct? Is the "#Autogenerated" string an indication that shared
objects are in use? If that assumption is correct, how can I confirm that snort was compiled to use SO? Is something
else going on here?

You can't use shared object rules on Windows.  We don't provide a compile for them.

I'm happy to manually copy in all the rules files and simply restart the service, but I want to understand what is
going on.