Snort mailing list archives

Re: Configuring snort as IPS

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:18:56 -0500

Author,  and the book was outdated when it was published, and people are still buying it and I still receive a check
from it.  But if I could, I'd pull the book from every shelf, because all it does is make my current job as community
manager harder.  It covered Snort version 2.6  and was written during Snort 2.5, if that tells you the age of the book.
 There were several chapters (including several mistakes in my own chapter) that are just plain wrong.  I edited
several chapters of the book, and the changes were so heavy that they deemed I essentially rewrote them, and they
couldn't publish them as I wrote them because then the original author wouldn't get paid.

Yes, I still have my edits, no I won't tell you which chapters.  Yes Sourcefire has been approached about publishing
another book.

There is a distinct difference in between reactive and active.

The old Snort_inline was active.  Snort with an inline DAQ now is active.  Snortsam is re-active.  Snort with flexresp2
or flexresp3 and the react keyword is reactive.  Snortsam, flex, etc will not block the attack in realtime.  Flex will
/attempt/ to reset the connection, but I think we've had enough discussion on this list to prove that that approach
works "sometimes".

Snortsam is completely after the fact.  Snort alerts, writes to unified2, barynard2 reads the unified2 and processes
the command to block, sends the block over to the firewall.  Yes, it's quick, but the attack already went by and who
knows what else has now went on?  A backdoor, a reverse shell to a third machine?

Snort in inline mode is active.  It can block in real time.  I see nothing wrong with both approaches for additional
security.  But if I had to pick one, I'd pick the active mode.   Snortsam as an add on isn't a bad idea, like you said,
to block the hostile host.  But then again, they can just change IPs.