Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-users] threshold -- is it really deprecated?

From: Jason Brvenik <jasonb () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:36:35 -0500

Now that the thread has had expression time I'd like to add my $.02

I don't believe ANYTHING should be in the rule that is not DIRECTLY
detection related. All information that isn't detection related should
be external to the rule and modifiable without risking changing the
detection content.

This means that IMHO msg: class: metadata: threshold: etc should all
get externalized. The potential for human error and likelihood of edit
collision should be minimized, not maximized.