Snort mailing list archives

Snort daq / nfq / "content: " not working...

From: Jesko Mägle <jesko () maegle de>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:08:40 +0100

Hi,

first of all, I want to say "Hi" to this great group. I was reading a lot of posts, and got a lot of good ideas from it... Thanks :)

But now I have a problem I can't solve on my own, maybe someone has an idea?

I'm testing snort on a gentoo-machine. snort 2.9.1 to be exact. After a lot of reading and some eye-openers concerning daq I'm stuck with the following problem:

I have a rule "drop tcp any any <> any any ( msg:"Works"; sid:10000009;rev:1;)" - this rule works - just everything is dropped... Fine. In the next step i added "content: www.youtube.com"; to it - and - it doesn't work.

I use the default snort.conf from the vrt-team, i tried the gentoo-snort.conf - experimented with the http_inspect preprocessor ( read something that this might be the issue... ) - but - im stuck.

Any ideas where I can look, what I can do?

Greeting,
Jesko

--
JESKO MÄGLE